“The massive blast that took place at the port of Beirut late in the afternoon today left an important part of the city laying in apocalyptic ruin. The rumble of the explosion was felt all the way to Cyprus.”
These are the words of our trusted partner and dear friend, Nabil Costa, Chief Executive Officer of the Lebanese Society for Educational and Social Development in Beirut in their recent newsletter.
In their latest video update, Costa reminds us that since September 2019, Lebanon has faced forest fires, a financial crisis, unemployment, the refugee crisis, a revolution and COVID-19. And now, on top of this, the devastating impact of the recent blast in Beirut’s port which killed 200 people, wounded 6000 others, and left 300,000 homeless.
Then, following a weekend of anti-government protests the Prime Minister of Lebanon resigned. “May God protect Lebanon” were the last words of his resignation speech.
“I feel now, we are on a ship, caught by a storm. I don’t know how, I don’t know when, but I trust the Lord will lead us to land on a safe shore… Meanwhile, during this difficult trip, we are burdened and we promised Him to take care of the people who are with us on this ship. Our eyes are on Him. Our hands are on the plough,” says Costa.
LSESD and their associated ministries (SKILD, MERATH, Arab Baptist Theological Seminary, Beirut Baptist School, DMAH and Gateway Bookstore) have continued to operate in new and creative ways in the midst of these recent crises. They request our prayers to continue in faithful ministry in the most challenging season yet. Please join us in praying for our brothers and sisters in Lebanon.
The following list of prayer items have been given to us by LSESD.
- Please pray for those who have lost their homes and loved ones so that they may find comfort and healing.
- Please pray for the doctors, nurses and paramedics who are caring for the injured.
- Please pray for the rescue teams that are trying to find missing family members and neighbors.
- Please pray for people who are in places of responsibility as they manage the catastrophic human and economic consequences.
- Please pray for the Church as it seeks to comfort and serve the distressed and brokenhearted.
- Please pray for the People of God as they seek the Lord and humbly cry out to Him for mercy.
- Pray for LSESD/MEBO family of ministries and in specific for the Beirut Baptist School and the Gateway Bookshop, which suffered important material damage and for the staff who have been injured by the glass debris.
‘“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."Numbers 4:24-26
If you would like to donate to LSESD, you may do so through Canadian Baptist Ministries online here. Donations made before August 24, 2020 will be matched dollar-for-dollar by the Canadian government through the Lebanon Matching Fund.
If you would like any more information on LSESD, please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.